These are chronic diseases that cannot be passed from one person to another. NCD’s are long duration and slow progression diseases. Examples are Colon and Breast Cancers, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Strokes etc.
KEY FACTS about NCD’S
- NCD’s kill about 38million people annually
- NCD is a major cause of ‘premature’ deaths under the age of 70; reducing Life Expectancy Rate to 45years in Nigeria;
- Unhealthy Foods and Physical Inactivity increases the risk of NCD’s.
- About 7.5 million people die due to High Blood Pressure
- Alcohol/Tabacco Abuse can lead to hypertension and Obesity; alcohol abuse causes about 5 million to die annually
- About 6 million people die of overweight and bad cholesterol annually.
- Replacement of TRANS FAT(Magerine,butter) with POLYUNSATURATED FAT (peanut butter, avocado) is an intervention against NCDs.
In 2008, NCD’s caused 63% of deaths globally and the numbers are increasing; except measures are taken.
SOCIAL ECONOMIC IMPACT OF NCD]
- Poverty is closely linked to NCDs
- A rapid rise in NCDs has killed many bread winners causing more poverty and impeding United Nation’s Poverty Reduction Initiatives in poor countries.
- The Vulnerable and Socially disadvantaged get sicker and die sooner as they are more exposed to harmful products and unhealthy diets.
- Lengthy and Expensive treatment of NCD’s has forced many families into poverty; stifling development.
- High income groups can access exorbitant health care and products that protects unlike the lower- income group.
PREVENTION/ INTERVENTIONS AGAINST NCD’S AND OBESITY
- Early detection and timely treatment can reduce the need for expensive treatment
- Replace TRANSFAT (Margarine, Butter) with POLYUNSATURATED FAT FOODS (Peanut butter, Avocado Pear, Palm Oil, Ground Nut Oil, Olive, Canola or Corn oil, Sun Flower, Soybean Oil , Nuts)
- EAT MORE WHOLE GRAIN, PULSES AND FRESH FOODS AND LESS PROCESSED AND PACKAGED FOODS
- EAT MORE VEGETABLES AND PLANT-BASED FOOD(PLANTAIN, POTATOE, CASSAVA, YAM) AND LESS CAKES, PIES AND PASTRIES
- CONSUME MORE BOILED FOOD THAN FRIED FOOD TO AVOID TRANSFAT
- COOK YOUR OWN MEALS WITH LESS OIL AND REDUCE EATING OUT
- EAT 3 MEALS DAILY OF REDUCED OIL, CARBOHYDRATES WITH MORE VEGETABLES
- EAT FISH OR WHITE MEAT; REDUCE RED MEAT
- DRINK MORE WATER AND LESS SUGARY STUFF
- EXERCISE REGULARLY at least 3 times weekly (Walking, Dancing, Skipping, Aerobics, Gymnastics etc)